Last summer I went to Chicago for a long weekend. While the size of the city is quite overwhelming, it is manageable to see some great tourist spots in one day. I have put together an itinerary for one day in the Windy City.
- Start the day with an iced coffee at Peet’s Coffee on Michigan Avenue. It was easy to get to in conjunction with seeing the next sites on the list. The outside was so cute, easy to order and chill before starting a big day of walking.
- Buckingham Fountain in the center of Grant Park was a random find while I was in Chicago but I really enjoy the cityscape view and going down by the water. It is a great back drop for pictures.
- The Cloud Gate aka The Bean in Millennium Park is a great tourist stop that is just overall a really cool sculpture. It was so fun trying to take pictures around it and walking under it.
- By this point in the day you will want some lunch. My bf and I saw Shake Shack and immediately jumped at the chance to try it. It is a busy place so if you are with someone I would suggest one person getting a seat and the other ordering.
- After a day of walking around and probably resting back at your hotel you will want to eat some dinner. You can’t come to Chicago and not have deep dish pizza. I was a little hesitant to try it because it looks like a little too much going on but I tried it anyway. We ate at Giordano’s and it was amazing! I would highly suggest it!
- Last on the list for the day is the Skydeck at Willis Tower. We went at night to avoid a long line. The view is really amazing at night and you can also step out on the ledge which is all glass. I was too chicken to try but I hope to if I ever go back.
Our days in Chicago were mainly spent walking around and stumbling upon different things in town. All of these places are very tourist and budget friendly. The Skydeck at Willis Tower was the only tourist attraction that we had to pay for entry. I would also suggest checking out Navy Pier and walking down Michigan Avenue.
Stay tuned for more MJG Getaway ideas!