This past weekend I went prom dress shopping with my younger sister. It was so fun to watch her try on all the dresses and eventually find the one! Below I put some important dos and donts to remember while finding your perfect gown.
- Bring the right people With any big decision making process you want the right people by your side. The people you bring need to honest but also be pleasant and supportive of any dress you pick. You do not want people who take over your prom experience or take away from your day. Overall, pick people you are close with and bring a small number of people.
- Sizing-Are you comfortable? This is so important! You have to spend all night in this dress and most importantly dance in this dress. So make sure you are okay walking around and standing in your dress. You want to be able to move your arms and breath in it. Sizing for dresses and gowns can be different than normal sizing. Do not worry if you have to go up or down a size because no one will know the size!
- Does it need altering? Try to find a dress that has minimal altering because that it is just one more expense. Also, with altering comes time. If you are close to the day of you may not have time to alter the dress. Stick with a dress that does not need altering or very little so you can save the money for a mani or hair appointment.
- Take a picture Pictures are a huge part of Prom. Everyone wants there dress to photograph well. Take pictures at the store to make sure you like it and that there are no see through areas or places you did not see before.
- Sit down While trying on your dress sit down to make sure you can still breath. You will be sitting at dinner or maybe in between dances so make sure your dress is not too tight to sit.
- What do you already have to match? The dress is super important but you also need shoes and accessories. While shopping take into account if you have shoes and jewelry already that will match. This will save you money on expensive prom accessories.
- Are you happy? At the end of the day the only opinion that mattes is your own! If you really love the dress and feel good then there is no way you can have a bad time. So be confident and wear a huge smile!
Happy shopping! And stay tuned for more prom posts.